The best time to visit the museums is from May to October. In winter it is possible to visit the emplacements and the places where the First World War was fought by doing the Great War Ski Tour.
The entire area of the museum is crossed by paths viable on foot. Almost all the tunnels and trenches have been cleared and restored thanks to the work of numerous volunteers. Restoration of the steps has granted easier access to the sloping stretches of the tunnels. There are visits to several different routes, some longer and more difficult, others shorter and easier. In all cases, the routes are mountain paths: visitors must provide themselves with the necessary equipment for a mountain excursion, such as walking boots and suitable clothing. For the visit to the Lagazuoi tunnels, safety harness and protection helmet are advised. Electric torches and helmets can be hired on the spot (till 30. September).
- Helmet: 6 euro
- Lamp: 6 euro
- Rope with carabiner: 6 euro
- Choice of two: 10 euro
- Set of three: 12 euro
- with Guide Alpine (Mountain Guides) Badia (+39) 0471 847037
- with Guide Alpine (Mountain Guides) Cortina (+39) 0436 868505
- with Guide Alpine (Mountain Guides) Arabba (+39) 333 2261421
- In August (only 3 days) you can visit the 5 Torri museum in the company of Professor Paolo Giacomel, an expert on local history who will bring to life the story of the Great War fought at high altitude. After a fascinating encounter with history, the Lorenzi family await you for dinner at the Scoiattoli refuge and Averau refuge. Info.
- During the summer you can visit Lagazuoi museum with Reenactor in historical uniform Regiment . Info
- During the summer you can visit Cima Gallina and Edelweiss with Reenactor in historical uniform Regiment . Info: (+39) 377 2802867 - 339 4425105 - 348 2319299.
Books, video and Guides:
- La Grande Guerra sul Piccolo Lagazuoi (“The Great War on the Piccolo Lagazuoi”). An illustrated guide to the tunnels, with original documents, edited by Laura Bobbio Stefano Illing.
- La Grande Guerra sul Sasso di Stria (“The Great War on Sasso di Stria ”). An illustrated guide to the tunnels, with original documents, edited by Stefano Illing - Isabelle Brandauer.
- La Grande Guerra alle 5 Torri (“The Great War in the 5 Torri”), edited by Paolo Giacomel - Marco Zardini.
Il fronte verticale (“The vertical front”). 1914-1917. La Grande Guerra da Cortina d'Ampezzo al Piccolo Lagazuoi (“The Great War from Cortina d'Ampezzo to the Piccolo Lagazuoi”), edited by the Cengia Martini Committee.
Lagazuoi. Mine Warfare. Illustrated history of the Grat War in the Mountains of Cortina d'Ampezzo, Gianni Carino, edited by the Cengia Martini Committee.
You can obtain the guides, video and books from the information points adjacent to the museums and the lifts.
The lifts: general informations.